Cllr Michael Andrewes

Lib Dem Councillor for St Jude Ward - Working for Southsea Learn more

Read more on this

Read more on this

Windy Weather

by michaelandrewes on 26 October, 2013

As you are no doubt aware severe gale force winds are forecast for the night of Sunday 27th October/Monday 28th October – at the time of writing between 3am-9am. Please find some useful numbers, websites and information below:

Useful numbers and websites
Police/Emergency Services
In a life-threatening emergency dial 999
The non-emergency police number is 101 and is staffed 24 hours a day.
Portsmouth City Council
Switchboard: 023 92 822251
City Helpdesk: 023 9283 4092
(Normally Mon-Fri 8.30am-5.00pm, but if needed there will be specific recorded information and it may staffed outside these times if needed).
Southern Water
Emergencies 0845 278 0845
St Jude Portsmouth City Councillors
Cllr Michael Andrewes: 07931 581 588
Cllr Hugh Mason: 023 9281 6794
Cllr Peter Eddis 023 9242 2439
Twitter Updates
Updates on the weather and the local situation at:
Cllr Michael Andrewes:

Portsmouth City Council:

Portsmouth CC Travel:
Useful Websites:
Councillors: Met Office Weather Warnings:
S Water Emergencies:

Some Useful Pointers
Great South Run on Sunday: Remember that there is the Great South Run on Sunday morning so there will be some road closures on Sunday.
Secure everything: Obviously safely secure anything lose outside before Sunday night (or earlier if the timing of the possible gales is forecast to be earlier).

Travel with care: The Met Office has advised: “Because there is a risk of significant disruption. People should heed the advice of the road safety organisations and only travel if it is absolutely necessary. There’s a possibility of trees blocking roads, power cuts and transport disruption.”

If Flooded: For details on what to do if you are flooded see the Southern Water website at They advise: “If possible, isolate all electrical circuits – this is best done by safely turning off the supply at the circuit board or fuse box. If in any doubt, contact a competent electrician for advice. Contact your household or property insurers to report the damage and make a claim. If possible you should take photographs and keep receipts of any emergency expenses.”

   Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>